Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Briguy

Acadia National Park

22 posts in this topic

Has anyone here ever been to Acadia National Park? I went there a couple months ago and thought it was amazing. I orignally went there to go biking but the views from hiking were so much better that I ditched the bikes to climb as much as I could. If you ever get a chance I'd strongly suggest going up there.

post-223-1186780317_thumb.jpg

My wife and I went there a few years ago with some friends that are not hikers. But we knew that and planned a day to hike without them. We planned a long day and would meet our friends at the Jordan House at 4:00 in the afternoon. I think we started on the trail around 8:00 at Sand Beach. We went up the Beehive which is very steep and you had to pull yourself up in some areas. There you had excellent views of the ocean and beach below. Then onto the Bear Brook Trail to Champlain Mt. Down Beachcroft Trail and over by The Tarn lake. Back up on the southern side of Mt Cadillac and Pemetic Mt following the Canon Brook trail and the Pond Trail to the Jordan House.

They arrived there about 10 minutes before us. There was an outside area were people could eat so smelling the way we did we took advantage of that. We had turnovers there that were to die for.

I've been up to Acadia three times and would love to go again. Cadillac is the obvious climb that you should do, along with the sometimes challenging beehive. Thunder Hole was pretty amazing, if any of you checked that out.

I hiked Mt. Gorham with my father about 6 years ago. The hike was a decent challenge, but the rocky views on top were amazing. After a lunch on the top, we disputed about which trail to take down. The old man chose a pretty steep way that I said would be to hard for him. He laughed at me and we took off. No lie, 3 steps on the trail, he falls and breaks his leg...on flat ground. Classic...now he agrees with every trail I pick.

wow man ... that pic is awesome!

My wife and I got married under that apple tree on the Jordan Pond House lawn. My 2 year old is Acadia. I love it there, went a few times when I was a kid, always camping, hiking, started going back about 11 years ago. Great mountains, clear views of the ocean, great towns with wonderful food and local beer, I really feel at home there.

Mel and I have always enjoyed Hunter's Beach after a day of hiking or a nice wine and cheese under the trees across from the boat house on Little Long Pond. Three of the best hikes however are closed from early spring to early fall due to endangered nesting falcons. Ever done a ladder trail? How about one called "the precipice trail"! Hairy at best and very vertical.

The locals call that hike "the beehive" due to it's swarms of people in the high season (it does look like a hive though, from Sand Beach). ANP is best enjoyed before July 3rd and after Labor day. Things in Bar Harbor slow down after Columbus day. All over an outdoor wonderland.

That's awesome you named your kid after Acadia and got married there. I thought the Jordan House was a little too pricy but you were definately paying for the view they had. When I was up there with my girlfriend we ran into some people who suggest we do the beehive the only thing is they pointed us to the opposite end so we climbed down it instead of up. If you want a scary challenge try climbing down "The Beehive" it's a lot scarier than going up.

We actually have plans to go again in September '08 because when we were there "The Precipice" trail was blocked off because the falcons were nesting. Did you know the guy that created that trail died climbing it one day? What we did last time was camp Monday through Friday and then stay at this B&B called the Black Friar Inn. If you ever go there again and want to spend a couple days in Bar Harbor that's the best place to stay. The owners were so nice, the breakfast was great and they gave a ton of pointers on where to go in Acadia.

Did anyone get up for the sunrise at Cadillac Mtn? it was incredible. I'll post the pictures up when I get a chance.

post-223-1186842771_thumb.jpg

Past the Featherbed

It wouldn’t smell like this

and the moment would have lacked the dream,

If I had been anywhere else.

Her smile wouldn’t have been “that” smile

and neither would mine,

I wouldn’t have seen the sky like that

the rising mist lit as a peach on fire,

I probably would have still been sleeping

no, I definitely would have been asleep,

I would’ve missed it

and It wouldn’t have been written like this,

That's awesome you named your kid after Acadia and got married there. I thought the Jordan House was a little too pricy but you were definately paying for the view they had. When I was up there with my girlfriend we ran into some people who suggest we do the beehive the only thing is they pointed us to the opposite end so we climbed down it instead of up. If you want a scary challenge try climbing down "The Beehive" it's a lot scarier than going up.

We actually have plans to go again in September '08 because when we were there "The Precipice" trail was blocked off because the falcons were nesting. Did you know the guy that created that trail died climbing it one day? What we did last time was camp Monday through Friday and then stay at this B&B called the Black Friar Inn. If you ever go there again and want to spend a couple days in Bar Harbor that's the best place to stay. The owners were so nice, the breakfast was great and they gave a ton of pointers on where to go in Acadia.

Did anyone get up for the sunrise at Cadillac Mtn? it was incredible. I'll post the pictures up when I get a chance.

I can't believe that was entered last August and nobody responded. That's beautiful. My daughter makes personalized hiking sticks, can I have your permission for her to use your poem on a stick?

Rich

Ok, I am look to take an early season drive to Acadia (my first time there) and I'm wondering if anyone has any input as to what I could do up there this time of year.

I know there is a great scenic road i can take, but what else is there? I'm not really planning a hiking trip, more of a relaxing "get the hell away" sort of trip.

Also, can anyone recommend a place to stay? I'd prefer something scenic.

Thanks in advance, cheers!

:dancing-banana:

ACADIA OR BUST!!

and I'm wondering if anyone has any input as to what I could do up there this time of year

brew_seadog.gifbrew_sheepscot.gifbrew_cascobay.gif

brew_gearys.jpgbrew_shipyard.jpgstout_master.jpg

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:dancing-banana:

HAHAHA... niiiice....

One of the things I would suggest is getting up early one morning and watch the sun rise on top of Cadillac Mountain. Since it's the highest point along the east coast you will technically be the first person to see the sun rise that day.

A really nice place I stayed at and am going back to in September is The Black Friar Inn. Although this place is not a scenic one I highly recommend it. The people there are just so nice, the food is great and it had such a homely feel which was great after a week of camping. Sped had actually suggested it to me.

What time are you heading up? Because some of the roads may be closed. Also another cool thing you is go to the Bar Harbor Brewing Company and have a free tasting and tour.

I emailed the park to see about the main scenic road loop. They emailed me back and said it would open on April 15, which is very close to when I will be up there. I'm actually pumped about that, maybe the animals will not be pushed back into the woods by motor traffic yet. If I am one of the first of the season out there, I may see some wildlife.

Good stuff, I'll check out that place you recommend.

Andrew, A good friend of mine own's a place very close to the park called The Quimby house inn. It is really nice and the price is right too! It's worth cheching out if you only doing one or two nights.

Hey Andrew, if you're heading to Acadia and not really planning on hiking much, but still want to get a good feel for the place, I have a few suggestions.

first, the park loop road is very cool and as scenic as it gets. There are loads of places to park and wander around; on the granite by the ocean (two good spots are thunder hole and otter cliffs); around a pond or two (Jordan Pond is about a two hour loop with one waterfall that should be pretty nice in April, or Bubble pond which is only about an hour walk); or a multitude of trails and scenic lookouts all along the loop road. I'm right there with Briguy in suggesting sunrise on Cadillac too, if it's a clear morning, ahhhh.

Second would bee Beech Cliff, it's on the western side of the island, but you essentially drive up this long hill, then you can walk ten minutes to overlook the whole south center of the island. Really beautiful spot, there's also a loop that goes around the peak and takes just over an hour. I wouldn't recommend hiking in downpours, but this doesn't need to be avoided in the rain. The trail at the opposite side of the carpark from the cliff trail affords a nice view of the whole west interior of the island in a fifteen or so minute walk.

And Third I'd say Havana, it's on Main st. in Bar Harbor. I'm pretty sure that it's open all year, maybe just three nights (you'll find a lot of Bar Harbor will be closed, though still a few friendly pubs - Geddy's and Rupinuni and the Whale's Tale will be open). Havana is a Cuban themed, borderline fine dining place that is still very casual and I try never to miss it when I'm up there. The food is great, and it's a nice relaxing place. I was there in the middle of winter during a blizzard one year, and it was the only place open, and still the food was top notch.

To avoid making my first post in a long time an epic one, I'll just say that on the way onto the island, stop into the visitor center, and get a Carriage road/ Hiking Trail map. They'll give you a free map of the island and the park, but if you like the place, this map is really handy at getting around, not just the trails, but the roads as well.

I don't get to go there till the end of June...I'm envious.

Have a great time! And if you're heading up for one of those romantic getaway weekends, look up Anne's Point Inn. It's on the West side of the Island, and there is no better place to stay.

Joe

Sorry it took so long, I've been out of the loop for a bit, but yes, I'm flattered, permission granted of course. Thanks for asking.

I can't believe that was entered last August and nobody responded. That's beautiful. My daughter makes personalized hiking sticks, can I have your permission for her to use your poem on a stick?

Rich

:-) Thank you

Went to Acadia last Fourth of July for the first time. Without a doubt one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Definitely try to catch the sunrise on Cadillac. We stayed at Blackwoods, you can access the South Ridge Trail right from the campground. Only advice I would give is to not underestimate how cold it gets at night (it was generally high 30s/low 40s in July) and give yourself at least a three day weekend, Bar Harbor is a hike (no pun intended)......

i reckon this is the weekend...

dare i see a "Trip To Acadia" pic story in the works?

;)

Just got back. I took like 250+ pictures, I'll post some soon....

Two words... Acadia FREEKING rules!

Yup, it's really nice. The hiking is awesome, especially the beehive trail.

Acadia is really nice. I love the varied opportunities for outdoor activities. In one weekend my family went kayaking, hiking, swimming, cliff jumping, ice cream shops, beach/rocky shore strolls, camping and out to eat at a nice restaurant.

You get mountains & the ocean. We really enjoyed hiking Acadia Mountain - the views are just incredible!

Best,

Kasey Marsters

foxtrickadventures.com