• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Interests:Web Development, NASCAR, Guitar, Hiking, Guinness...

Posted 12 Apr 2009 - 08:59 AM

I wanted to ask everyone what they consider to the be the best movies related to hiking and camping. I have a couple that I watch regularly.

TREK - A journey on the Appalachian Trail

Alone in the Wilderness - living in Alaska alone

Southbounders - not a documentary, but all filmed on the AT

48 - documentary of hiking all the 48nh 4ks

Add any if you can, I'd love to build up a library.

Cheers!
:cheers:

#2 3/4 time

3/4 time

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 Apr 2009 - 10:49 AM

There is Into The Wild, but I thought the book was better. Alone in the Wilderness I think tops the list for that type of thing. I have a documentary "celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Allagash Wilderness Waterway" called Northrunner . If you've done any canoeing up there or know anything about the area's history, the film is interesting, but it is a bit dry.

I'm more of a reader. I've read probably a dozen books on the AT (a dream I know will never come true) and as much New England and other "woodland" narrative history as I can find.

#3 dudley

dudley

fishin' fool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:fly fishing, camp cooking, college basketball

Posted 12 Apr 2009 - 11:50 PM

"Squeal like a pig !"
(paddle faster, I hear banjo music ) :unsure:

Posted Image

#4 fishmonger

fishmonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, surfcasting, football, brewpubs

Posted 14 Apr 2009 - 03:52 PM

There is Into The Wild, but I thought the book was better. Alone in the Wilderness I think tops the list for that type of thing. I have a documentary "celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Allagash Wilderness Waterway" called Northrunner . If you've done any canoeing up there or know anything about the area's history, the film is interesting, but it is a bit dry.

I'm more of a reader. I've read probably a dozen books on the AT (a dream I know will never come true) and as much New England and other "woodland" narrative history as I can find.

I'm with ya, I don't watch many movies but try to read as much as I can. Why don't we start a list of outdoor books? For me:

The Perfect Storm (my all time favorite read)
A Walk in the Woods
Striper Surf
Into the Wild

And others that I can't think of off the top of my head.....

#5 Stickball13

Stickball13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Baseball, Golf, Football, College Hockey

Posted 14 Apr 2009 - 06:28 PM

Books
There are many books that are great reading whether its to gain trail knowledge or stories of peoples experiences. Here is a partial list of books that that I have read over the past few years.
• White Mountain Guide (AMC), Hiking trails in the White Mountains - Compiled and edited by Gene Daniell and Jon Burroughs
• Maine Mountain Guide (AMC), AMC Guide to Hiking Trails of Maine – Compiled and edited by AMC Maine Chapter Volunteers
• Acadia National Park (AMC) – Guide to the best hiking, biking, and paddling, Jerry and Marcy Monkman.
• Long Trail Guide (GMC) – Hiking Vermont’s High Ridge
• Long Distance Hiking on the Appalachian Trail for the Older Adventurer – David Ryan
• Walking the Appalachian Trail – Larry Luxenberg
• How to Shit in the Woods – Kathleen Meyer
• Daytrips and Getaway Weekends, New England – Patricia and Robert Foulke
• Wandering Through th White Mountains, a Hiker’s Perspective – Steven D. Smith
• New Hampshire, an Explorer’s Guide – Christina Tree and Peter Randall
• Shrouded Memories, True stories from the White Mountains of New Hampshire – Floyd W. Ramsey
• Touching the Void, The true story of one man’s miraculous survival – Joe Simpson
• The Beckoning Silence – Joe Simpson
• 100 Hikes in Yosemite National Park – Marc J Soares
• Hiking Yosemite National Park, A Guide to Yosemite National Park’s Greatest Hiking Adventures – Suzanne Swedo
• Hiking Grand Teton National Park, A Guide to Grand Teton’s Greatest Hiking Adventures – Bill Schneider
• Cookery, National Outdoor Leadership School – Edited by Claudia Pearson
• Lip Smackin Backpackin, Lightweight Trail-tested Recipes for Backcountry Trips – Tim and Christine Conners

#6 dudley

dudley

fishin' fool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 14 Apr 2009 - 07:43 PM

I love this book....nothing to do with hiking however

Posted Image

Spiked Boots
Sketches of the North Country

Robert E. Pike
Foreword by Helen-Chantal Pike

In the days of log drives on the rivers of New England, whenever a riverman was killed on the drive, his comrades hung his spiked boots on a tree to mark the spot. As a youth, Robert Pike spotted such a pair of boots, and from that moment was born his lifelong fascination with the colorful history of the New England logging industry.

The dozens of tales Pike collected are narrated here by "Old Vern," a cantankerous backwoods character. Here are legends and wild anecdotes of the loggers and rivermen who worked in the woods and on the Connecticut and Androscoggin Rivers, plying their romantic, dangerous trade in the early part of this century.

Although Pike was a respected scholar and historian and the author of many books, Spiked Boots is the one he wanted to be remembered by. The Countryman Press edition features a new foreword by Helen-Chantal Pike, who grew up hearing her father's tales as bedtime stories.

"No one ever wrote better than Robert Pike about the lumberers, river drivers, teamsters, two-fisted brawlers, rum runners, and all-purpose rapscallions of northern New England. Spiked Boots is a sheer delight to read and re-read-a North Country classic."
—Howard Frank Mosher, author of Disappearances

#7 fishmonger

fishmonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 Apr 2009 - 10:02 PM

Actually bought my brother in law Spiked Boots for Christmas. He's a carpenter and general outdoorsman in NH. Been meaning to borrow it once he's done.

Read a short article a few months ago about Pike's life. Interesting guy for sure

#8 fishmonger

fishmonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 Apr 2009 - 10:43 AM

Dudley,
Looking at your signature, you ever read Mr. Nice? Saw it years ago when I was in London, picked it up at the Salem Public Library a few weeks ago. Not a hiking/outdoors book at all but entertaining to say the least.

Great book. Just glad that it hasn't been ruined by a Hollywood production (yet)....

#9 dudley

dudley

fishin' fool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 15 Apr 2009 - 04:23 PM

Someone recently gave our club a large collection of old sporting books. Around 12 cases.
After the club (and probably a few others) picked through what they wanted, I got the remainder, 4-5 cases.
I in turn picked out what I wanted and passed what I didn't want along to the local fish&game club
So far I read a book from the early '60s called Fishing for Northern Pike and a book from the late '80s called Bluefishing by Henry Lyman. They were both similarly formatted but Bluefishing had much more local interest
I've recently started another early '60s book titled Fishing Secrets of the Experts. Like Northern Pike it's a bit dated, but you never know what little gem of information you'll dig up.
The next book will be Shad Fishing by C. Boyd Pfeiffer.... a book I've always wanted and probably the best one in the bunch.

I think after that I'll be 'fished out' and ready to do some hiking.....or maybe some shad fishing ;)

#10 3/4 time

3/4 time

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 Apr 2009 - 07:51 PM

I love the Maine woods. Given the chance I’d live there, but I’d have to commute to the Cape to visit my wife. I read a lot about life in the Maine woods and these are some of the books I own about Maine.

Alone On the Allagash, A solo trip down the waterway – Doug Leland
Touch of Wilderness, A Maine Woods Journal- Lew Dietz
Canoe and Camera, Two Hundred Miles Through the Maine Forests - Thomas Sedgwick Steele
The Interrupted Forest, A History of Maine’s Wildlands - Neil Rolde
Campfires Rekindled, A Forester recalls life in the Maine woods – George S. Kephart
Wilderness Journal, Life, Living, Contentment In the Allagash Woods of Maine – Dorothy Boone Kidney
Nine Mile Bridge, Three Years in the Maine Woods – Helen Hamlin
On Wilderness, Voices from Maine – Austin, Bennett, Kimber Editors
Maine’s Golden Road, A Memoir – John Gould
Allagash – Dean B. Bennett
My Life in the Maine Woods, A Game Warden’s Wife in the Allagash Country – Annette Jackson
We Took To The Woods – Louise Dickinson Rich
Allagash, A Journey through time on Maine’s legendary wilderness waterway – Gil Gilpatrick
The Allagash, The History of a wilderness river in Maine – Lew Dietz
The Maine Woods – Henry David Thoreau
Katahdin, An Historic Journey – John W. Neff
The Maine Woods, An Insiders Guide to Maine Sporting Camps – Alice Arlen
Wildfire Loose, The Week Maine Burned – Joyce Butler
Maine, A History – Charles E. Clark
North To Katahdin – Eric Pinder
The Call of Katahdin, Life in Werler’s Woods – Ed Werler
Tall Trees, Tough Men – Robert E. Pike
Away from It All – Dorothy Boone Kidney
The Wildest Country, Exploring Thoreau’s Maine – J. Parker Huber
The Old Somerset Railroad, A Lifeline for Northern Mainers – Walter M. MacDougall
Above the Gravel Bar, The Native Canoe Routes of Maine – David S. Cook
Pleasant River, Adventures along a Maine stream – Dale Rex Coman
Canoe Trip, Alone in the Maine Wilderness – David Curran
The Wilderness from Chamberlain Farm – Dean B. Bennett

#11 NEPilgrim

NEPilgrim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, backpacking, weight-lifting, bicycling, kayaking, reading, writing, relaxing by a fire w/ a good beer.

Posted 30 Apr 2009 - 04:26 PM

If any of you haven't read Hunted by David Fletcher, then get a copy, great adventure story! Fletcher is a climber who went on a solo mountain climbing trek in Alaska many years ago. He's hunted & chased by a Grizzly. He says it's a true account.

Is Alone In The Wilderness the film by Dick Proennecke? If so, then I've also seen it and loved it. Been meaning to get a copy of it. I'm waiting on a copy of his first published journal from the library. He was quite a man.

I read a lot of hiking & climbing books. The last climbing book I just finished is Epic: Survival Stories From The World's Highest Peaks by Clint Willis. Into Thin Air by John Krakauer was another good read, same author of Into The Wild which book I enjoyed much more than the movie.

Steve.

#12 NEPilgrim

NEPilgrim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, backpacking, weight-lifting, bicycling, kayaking, reading, writing, relaxing by a fire w/ a good beer.

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:01 PM

Speaking of hiking movies...has anyone heard anything more from the proposed book-to-movie plan of Bryson's book, A Walk In The Woods? Was it all just a thought some ppl had, or will it be a reality?

Steve.

#13 NEPilgrim

NEPilgrim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:50 AM

Anyone know anything about this movie?

Steve.

#14 fishmonger

fishmonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:40 AM

Haven't heard anything about that in a couple years. I know that in the early stages Paul Newman was involved, so not sure if that has anything to do with it...

#15 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Interests:Web Development, NASCAR, Guitar, Hiking, Guinness...

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:43 AM

From Wikipedia:

In 2005, Robert Redford announced, and later confirmed, that he would star in and produce an adaptation of Bryson's book into a film, and that he would play Bryson himself. He also hoped that his erstwhile co-star and friend, Paul Newman, would team up with him to play the role of Katz, although he jokingly expressed doubt as to whether the health-conscious Newman would consider putting on enough weight to accurately portray the rotund Katz. (Newman, however, retired from acting in May 2007 and died in 2008.)

In February 2007, Chris Columbus, director of Home Alone and the first two Harry Potter films, was reported to have agreed to direct the adaptation. However, in January 2008, the Hollywood Reporter, while noting that the script was delayed due to the Hollywood writers' stike, reported that Barry Levinson, the Academy Award-winning director of Rain Man, was in talks to direct.

http://en.wikipedia....lk_in_the_Woods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users